Thursday, October 26, 2017

DVD Review: Art House

My girlfriend and I have been talking lately about the kind of house we’d like to one day live in. For now, it’s more a matter of trying to make our current apartments seem less horrible and more home-like. The artists who are the subject of the documentary Art House made their living spaces works of art, and are inspiring me to take a more serious – and more joyful – look at the way I’m living and at my goals for changing my living space to better suit my personality. It may very well have the same effect on you.

Art House is divided into several sections, each section dedicated to the living space of one artist (or group of artists). It begins with Russel Wright, and his home, named Manitoga. The camera gently, respectfully moves in on details of the home and the area surrounding it, the images set to music, allowing us to take it all in, to develop our own opinions without much narration to guide our thoughts. There is just a little information on each artist, presented as title cards before we see the living spaces.  Alastair Gordon does provide a bit of narration at certain moments throughout the film, but not much. Other information is given from short interviews with family members and apprentices, these interviews coming after we’ve seen some of the images. Ann Wright, Russel Wright’s daughter, talks about the long process of construction of the home. Russel thought of it as his personal living space, and it’s a bit sad when Ann tells us, “I feel like I was a person in his living space” (though she kind of laughs as she says it). I love the way nature and natural things are incorporated into the design of Manitoga. It’s beautiful.

Cosanti, the living and work space of Paolo Soleri, is a remarkably different type of space with a different feel, in part because of the difference in location. Again, this film allows us the time to take it in before anyone speaks of the artist’s work. The first building constructed is called Earth House, and it has a strong relation to the natural surroundings. The film is like a meditation, on possibilities for living. At least, that’s how it feels to me. This documentary is not so much about the artists’ biographies as it is about the spaces where these people lived and worked.

Some of the homes seem more personal than others, such as that of Raoul Hague, perhaps because of the photos and other artifacts displayed on the walls. (All those clocks would have driven me insane. I’ve never understood the passion some people have for clocks.) Eliphante, the home built by Michael Kahn and his wife, Leda Livant, was created from repurposed materials, and is beautiful, even kind of magical (though slightly twisted too). I want to see more of this structure. That’s perhaps my only complaint about this film. I wish the camera would take us through every room of these structures.

Certain spaces and rooms and structures shown in this film have more of an impact on me than others. I’m particularly drawn to the spiral staircase of Wharton Esherick’s home. It has a natural and eternal feel. And there is a room in Crow House – the home of architect and painter Henry Varnum Poor – that I absolutely love. It’s the kind of place I want to create (or find) for my girlfriend and myself. There are dark beams against white in the ceiling, with a warm red archway.

Art House is based on the book Artists’ Handmade Houses by Michael Gotkin and Don Freeman. Don Freeman directed the film, and also was the director of photography, still photographer, editor and producer of the film.

Special Features

The DVD contains a photo gallery, with the subject of each photograph identified clearly on the side of the screen. There are also short written biographies of the artists, of the documentary’s director, and of Alastair Gordon.

Art House was released on DVD on April 19, 2016 through First Run Features.

No comments:

Post a Comment

DVD Review: A Man Called Ove

A Man Called Ove is an absolutely wonderful film about an older man who is set in his ways, who is cantankerous, a man who is trying to mai...