Wednesday, December 31, 2014

DVD Review: Heather McDonald: “I Don’t Mean To Brag…”

Heather McDonald is known for her appearances on the program Chelsea Lately, and as the author of a couple of books, including a New York Times best-seller. Her new DVD, I Don’t Mean To Brag, showcases her talent at stand-up comedy.

She starts this hour-long special with a bit on dealing with TSA agents at the airport. Sure, lots of comedians have material on those nuts, but Heather offers a personal spin on the subject. She says: “It’s just nice, you know, to be touched… I’m married, so I have to pay people to touch me.” She tells the audience she’s been married for thirteen years, and after they predictably applaud that, she adds, “Happily for six.” I appreciate that, because it’s sort of a subtle dig at the audience for applauding the usual thing.

Much of her routine is related to her family. Heather McDonald has some really good material on her husband being cheap, including the positive side of his having that characteristic. And I love her bit on being Catholic, and going to the church if she has a nice outfit to wear, because “Going up for communion is like a little runway.” And how sending her children to Catholic school has turned them into little narcs. I also love her material on her kids playing sports, and how that can ruin her weekend. “No, I don’t really want to get in an RV and go to Bakersfield with a traveling soccer team. No, I don’t. I hope you lose. I really do.”

I like when Heather tosses little comments into the middle of a thought. Like when she mentions her oldest son, she quickly throws in “He’s my least favorite.” At another point, when she’s doing a bit on her husband having sleep apnea, she tosses in, “I don’t mean to brag, but we do have health insurance.”

As much as she might jokingly brag about something, Heather also is quick to poke fun at herself and her own life. “And this other thing that happens since I’ve turned forty is if I go on a trampoline or yell at my son suddenly, I pee a little.”

The stage design for this performance is a bit odd, with lots of chandeliers suspended at different heights against a bright blue backdrop. It’s a bit distracting.

I Don’t Mean To Brag is scheduled to be released on DVD on January 20, 2015 through Inception Media Group. The DVD has no special features.

No comments:

Post a Comment

DVD Review: A Man Called Ove

A Man Called Ove is an absolutely wonderful film about an older man who is set in his ways, who is cantankerous, a man who is trying to mai...